In the fall
of 1946, the city of
construction of the airport began when Heber Valley Flying Service, Inc.
acquired a $10,000 loan from the bank in
The corporation opened for business on September 7, 1947, with Russell McDonald as chief flight instructor, head mechanic, and general manager. During the next year, another Aeronca Champion, an ERCO Ercoupe, and a Cessna 170 were all added to the flight school. During the winters of 1947 and 1948, the three planes were equipped with skis, as no snow removal equipment was available for the field. About 75% of the business conducted at the field during this period came from World War II veterans learning to fly on the GI Bill.
major improvement to the airport came in 1949, when
1952, most of the GI Bill flight training had dropped off, and the field did
not have enough income to continue operating. The airplanes and equipment were
Despite the end of Heber Valley Flying Service, activity at the airport continued with private airplanes and gliders. In 1956, the airport once again had a full-time fixed-base operation. Since this time there have been five airport operators: Larry Winterton, Barry Jacobsen and Dave Farnum, Lee Rowser, and David McCoy. All of these men operated the airport for five years or more. The current FBO on field is OK3Air, owned by Nadim Abu-Haidar.
sailplanes have been at the airport since 1955.
David Robinson started Soar
recent airport improvement came in 1992, when the runway was extended to 6,900
feet and the old buildings were taken down for more paved aircraft
parking. The airport can now accommodate
most corporate jet aircraft. Today there
are 54 hangars and over 100 planes on the field. It is now a complete airport for the
the airport became known as
-- As told by Wayne McDonald, Russ' brother